The Ascension of Our Lord
(10 May 2018)
Acts 1:1–11; Ps. 47:1-9; Ephesians 1:15–23; Luke 24:44–53
Of the Day: LSB 491 Up through Endless Ranks of Angels
Distribution: LSB 493 A Hymn of Glory Let Us Sing;
The Ascended Lord Jesus Is with Us Always in His Church on Earth
After He rose from the dead, the Lord Jesus presented Himself alive to the apostles, “appearing to them during forty days and speaking about the kingdom of God” (Acts 1:3). When He ascended to the right hand of the Father, He did not orphan His Church, but He fills all things in heaven and on earth and gives gifts to His disciples. Even now, through His Church, He continues “to do and teach” (Acts 1:1), preaching “repentance and forgiveness of sins” (Luke 24:47), even “to the end of the earth” (Acts 1:8). Though the cloud hid Jesus from the sight of His disciples then, and He remains hidden from sight even now, He remains with His people through His Gospel and Sacraments. He comes to us by the word of His apostles, by the promise of His Father and by the power of the Holy Spirit, whom He pours out upon “the church, which is his body” (Eph. 1:22–23). In this holy, Christian Church, we bless God and worship Christ with joy, for in His Church He blesses us with forgiveness, lifts us up in His hands and seats us with Himself “in the heavenly places” (Eph. 1:20).
Dr. Martin Luther:
THE ASCENSION OF OUR LORD - Luke 24:44–53 (May 10)
“I am leaving you the Father’s and My love and friendship. You have seen and heard nothing but kind and friendly words and works from Me. And these are not Mine; they are the Father’s. Thus you possess everything you could desire from Me, even though I am leaving you and you see Me no more.” Luther's Works 24:178
44 Εἶπεν δὲ ⸂πρὸς αὐτούς⸃· Οὗτοι οἱ λόγοι ⸀μου οὓς ἐλάλησα πρὸς ὑμᾶς ἔτι ὢν σὺν ὑμῖν, ὅτι δεῖ πληρωθῆναι πάντα τὰ γεγραμμένα ἐν τῷ νόμῳ Μωϋσέως ⸀καὶ προφήταις καὶ ψαλμοῖς περὶ ἐμοῦ.
45 τότε διήνοιξεν αὐτῶν τὸν νοῦν τοῦ συνιέναι τὰς γραφάς,
46 καὶ εἶπεν αὐτοῖς ὅτι οὕτως ⸀γέγραπται παθεῖν τὸν χριστὸν καὶ ἀναστῆναι ἐκ νεκρῶν τῇ τρίτῃ ἡμέρᾳ,
47 καὶ κηρυχθῆναι ἐπὶ τῷ ὀνόματι αὐτοῦ μετάνοιαν ⸀καὶ ἄφεσιν ἁμαρτιῶν εἰς πάντα τὰ ἔθνη— ⸀ἀρξάμενοι ἀπὸ Ἰερουσαλήμ·
48 ὑμεῖς ⸀ἐστε μάρτυρες τούτων.
49 καὶ ἰδοὺ ἐγὼ ⸀ἐξαποστέλλω τὴν ἐπαγγελίαν τοῦ πατρός μου ἐφʼ ὑμᾶς· ὑμεῖς δὲ καθίσατε ἐν τῇ ⸀πόλει ἕως οὗ ἐνδύσησθε ⸂ἐξ ὕψους δύναμιν⸃.
50 Ἐξήγαγεν δὲ αὐτοὺς ⸀ἕως ⸀πρὸς Βηθανίαν, καὶ ἐπάρας τὰς χεῖρας αὐτοῦ εὐλόγησεν αὐτούς.
51 καὶ ἐγένετο ἐν τῷ εὐλογεῖν αὐτὸν αὐτοὺς διέστη ἀπʼ αὐτῶν ⸂[καὶ ἀνεφέρετο εἰς τὸν οὐρανόν]⸃.
52 καὶ αὐτοὶ ⸂[προσκυνήσαντες αὐτὸν]⸃ ὑπέστρεψαν εἰς Ἰερουσαλὴμ μετὰ χαρᾶς μεγάλης,
53 καὶ ἦσαν διὰ παντὸς ἐν τῷ ἱερῷ ⸀εὐλογοῦντες τὸν ⸀θεόν.
(44) And He said to them, These are the Words which I spoke to you yet being with you, that all the things must be fulfilled having been written in the Law of Moses, and the Prophets, and the Psalms, concerning Me.
(45) Then He opened up their mind to understand the Scriptures,
(46) and said to them, So it is written, and so the Christ must suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day.
(47) And repentance and remission of sins must be preached on His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem.
(48) And you are witnesses of these things.
(49) And, behold, I send forth the promise of My Father on you. But you sit in the city of Jerusalem until you are clothed with power from on high.
(50) He led them out as far as to Bethany. And lifting up His hands, He blessed them.
(51) And it happened as He blessed them, He withdrew from them and was carried into Heaven.
(52) And worshiping Him, they returned to Jerusalem with great joy,
(53) and were continually in the temple, praising and blessing God. Amen.
Scripture quotations marked SBLGNT are from the SBL Greek New Testament. Copyright © 2010 Society of Biblical Literature and Logos Bible Software. Holmes, M. W. (2011–2013). The Greek New Testament: SBL Edition. Lexham Press; Society of Biblical Literature.