FOURTH SUNDAY AFTER THE EPIPHANY
(03 February 2019)
Jer 1:4–10, 17–19; Ps. 71:1-6; 1 Cor 12:31b-13:13; Luke 4:31–44
Entrance: LSB 535 How Wide the Love of Christ
Of the Day: LSB 541 “Away from Us!” the Demon Cried
Offertory: LSB 842: Son of God, Eternal Savior
Distribution: LSB 695 Not for Tongues of Heaven’s Angels;
Jesus Has Authority to Forgive Your Sins and Give You Life
Jesus was sent to “preach the good news of the kingdom of God” (Luke 4:43). His preaching is an epiphany, or manifestation, of God because His Word reveals the authority of His cross and resurrection, by which He has atoned for the sins of the world. By the preaching of His Gospel in every place, He silences the unclean spirits and casts out demons, heals the diseases of body and soul, and restores life and health to His creation (Luke 4:40–41). For the sake of His divine love, He is “patient and kind” toward us; He “bears all things,” “endures all things” and delivers up His body to save us (1 Cor. 13:3–4, 7). So also for the sake of His love, He calls and sends His prophets, as ministers of His Word, “to pluck up and to break down, to destroy and to overthrow, to build and to plant” (Jer. 1:10).
Encore: Demons and Kraken and Ninjas Oh My (Luke 4:31-44) – Worldview Everlasting (2013)
Greek Tuesday discusses Luke 4 and the demon-possessed man. Like, whoa!
Encore: Looking Forward to Sunday Morning (3-Year Lectionary): Jesus Heals and Preaches – Dr. Carl Fickenscher – Issues, Etc.
Dr. Carl Fickenscher of Concordia Theological Seminary, Ft. Wayne, Ind., discusses the readings and the propers with Pr. Todd Wilken on Issues Etc (mp3, 57:20, 23.2 MB, 2016-Jan-25)
31 Καὶ κατῆλθεν εἰς Καφαρναοὺμ πόλιν τῆς Γαλιλαίας. καὶ ἦν διδάσκων αὐτοὺς ἐν τοῖς σάββασιν·
32 καὶ ἐξεπλήσσοντο ἐπὶ τῇ διδαχῇ αὐτοῦ, ὅτι ἐν ἐξουσίᾳ ἦν ὁ λόγος αὐτοῦ.
33 καὶ ἐν τῇ συναγωγῇ ἦν ἄνθρωπος ἔχων πνεῦμα δαιμονίου ἀκαθάρτου, καὶ ἀνέκραξεν φωνῇ μεγάλῃ·
34 Ἔα, τί ἡμῖν καὶ σοί, Ἰησοῦ Ναζαρηνέ; ἦλθες ἀπολέσαι ἡμᾶς; οἶδά σε τίς εἶ, ὁ ἅγιος τοῦ θεοῦ.
35 καὶ ἐπετίμησεν αὐτῷ ὁ Ἰησοῦς λέγων· Φιμώθητι καὶ ἔξελθε ἀπʼ αὐτοῦ. καὶ ῥίψαν αὐτὸν τὸ δαιμόνιον εἰς τὸ μέσον ἐξῆλθεν ἀπʼ αὐτοῦ μηδὲν βλάψαν αὐτόν.
36 καὶ ἐγένετο θάμβος ἐπὶ πάντας, καὶ συνελάλουν πρὸς ἀλλήλους λέγοντες· Τίς ὁ λόγος οὗτος ὅτι ἐν ἐξουσίᾳ καὶ δυνάμει ἐπιτάσσει τοῖς ἀκαθάρτοις πνεύμασιν, καὶ ἐξέρχονται;
37 καὶ ἐξεπορεύετο ἦχος περὶ αὐτοῦ εἰς πάντα τόπον τῆς περιχώρου.
38 Ἀναστὰς δὲ ἀπὸ τῆς συναγωγῆς εἰσῆλθεν εἰς τὴν οἰκίαν Σίμωνος. πενθερὰ δὲ τοῦ Σίμωνος ἦν συνεχομένη πυρετῷ μεγάλῳ, καὶ ἠρώτησαν αὐτὸν περὶ αὐτῆς.
39 καὶ ἐπιστὰς ἐπάνω αὐτῆς ἐπετίμησεν τῷ πυρετῷ, καὶ ἀφῆκεν αὐτήν· παραχρῆμα δὲ ἀναστᾶσα διηκόνει αὐτοῖς.
40 Δύνοντος δὲ τοῦ ἡλίου ἅπαντες ὅσοι εἶχον ἀσθενοῦντας νόσοις ποικίλαις ἤγαγον αὐτοὺς πρὸς αὐτόν· ὁ δὲ ἑνὶ ἑκάστῳ αὐτῶν τὰς χεῖρας ἐπιτιθεὶς ἐθεράπευεν αὐτούς.
41 ἐξήρχετο δὲ καὶ δαιμόνια ἀπὸ πολλῶν κραυγάζοντα καὶ λέγοντα ὅτι Σὺ εἶ ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ θεοῦ. καὶ ἐπιτιμῶν οὐκ εἴα αὐτὰ λαλεῖν, ὅτι ᾔδεισαν τὸν χριστὸν αὐτὸν εἶναι.
42 Γενομένης δὲ ἡμέρας ἐξελθὼν ἐπορεύθη εἰς ἔρημον τόπον· καὶ οἱ ὄχλοι ἐπεζήτουν αὐτόν, καὶ ἦλθον ἕως αὐτοῦ, καὶ κατεῖχον αὐτὸν τοῦ μὴ πορεύεσθαι ἀπʼ αὐτῶν.
43 ὁ δὲ εἶπεν πρὸς αὐτοὺς ὅτι Καὶ ταῖς ἑτέραις πόλεσιν εὐαγγελίσασθαί με δεῖ τὴν βασιλείαν τοῦ θεοῦ, ὅτι ἐπὶ τοῦτο ἀπεστάλην.
44 καὶ ἦν κηρύσσων εἰς τὰς συναγωγὰς τῆς Ἰουδαίας.
(31) And He went down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee. And He was teaching them on the sabbaths.
(32) And they were astonished at His doctrine, because His Word was with authority.
(33) And in the synagogue was a man who had a spirit of an unclean demon. And he cried out with a loud voice,
(34) saying, Aha! What is to us and to You, Jesus, Nazarene? Did You come to destroy us? I know You, who You are, the Holy One of God.
(35) And Jesus rebuked him, saying, Be silent, and come out from him! And throwing him into the midst, the demon came out from him, not harming him.
(36) And astonishment came on all. And they spoke with one another, saying, What word is this, that He commands the unclean spirits with authority and power, and they come out? (37) And a report about Him went out into every place of the neighborhood.
(38) And rising up from the synagogue, He went into the house of Simon. And the mother-in-law of Simon was being seized with a great fever. And they asked Him concerning her.
(39) And standing over her, He rebuked the fever; and it left her. And rising up instantly, she served them.
(40) And the sun sinking, all, as many as had sick ones with various diseases, brought them to Him. And laying hands on each one of them, He healed them.
(41) And also demons came out from many, crying out and saying, You are the Christ, the Son of God! And rebuking them, He did not allow them to speak, for they knew Him to be the Christ.
(42) And day having come, going out, He went into a deserted place. And the crowds looked for Him, and came up to Him, and held Him fast, not to pass away from them.
(43) But He said to them, It is right for Me to proclaim the gospel, the kingdom of God, to the other cities, because I was sent on this mission.
(44) And He was proclaiming in the synagogues of Galilee.