Second Sunday of Easter
(28 April 2019)
Acts 5:12–20, 21–32; Ps. 148; Rev 1:4–18; John 20:19–31
Of the Day: LSB 471 O Sons and Daughters of the King
Offertory: LSB 506 Glory Be to God the Father
Distribution: LSB 472 These Things Did Thomas Count as Real;
That You May Believe and Have Life in His Name
On the Lord’s Day, St. John the Apostle was given a revelation of the Lord Jesus Christ, the incarnate Son of God, the Alpha and Omega, the First and the Last. He is the Living One, “the firstborn of the dead” (Rev. 1:5). He died for all people, and behold, He is alive forevermore! Therefore, He has “the keys of Death and Hades” (Rev. 1:18). For His death atoned for sin and conquered death, and in His resurrection He opened the kingdom of heaven to us. The “sharp two-edged sword” of His mouth (Rev. 1:16) calls you to “believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God,” that by such faith “you may have life in His name” (John 20:31). To that end, He sends His ministers of the Word, as the Father sent Him, “to give repentance to Israel and forgiveness of sins” (Acts 5:31).
Worldview Everlasting – Believing Office (John 20:19-31)
Worldview Everlasting Greek Tuesday takes on John 20:19-31, with all the trappings that set you free. Rock on.
Worldview Everlasting – Genus Majestaticum!!!! (John 20:19-39)
Greek Tuesday, John 20:19-39; Doubting Calvin, Pagan Thomas, Aramaic Copulation, Jesus sticking his Side in You and more!
Lectionary Podcast - Easter 2 - Series C - John 20:19-31 - Dr. Walter Maier III
Dr. Walter Maier III, Concordia Theological Seminary, Ft. Wayne, Ind., exegetes the Gospel for Easter 2
John 20:19-31 (SBLGNT)
22 καὶ τοῦτο εἰπὼν ἐνεφύσησεν καὶ λέγει αὐτοῖς· Λάβετε πνεῦμα ἅγιον·
23 ἄν τινων ἀφῆτε τὰς ἁμαρτίας ⸀ἀφέωνται αὐτοῖς· ἄν τινων κρατῆτε κεκράτηνται.
24 Θωμᾶς δὲ εἷς ἐκ τῶν δώδεκα, ὁ λεγόμενος Δίδυμος, οὐκ ἦν μετʼ αὐτῶν ὅτε ⸀ἦλθεν Ἰησοῦς.
25 ἔλεγον οὖν αὐτῷ οἱ ἄλλοι μαθηταί· Ἑωράκαμεν τὸν κύριον. ὁ δὲ εἶπεν αὐτοῖς· Ἐὰν μὴ ἴδω ἐν ταῖς χερσὶν αὐτοῦ τὸν τύπον τῶν ἥλων καὶ βάλω τὸν δάκτυλόν μου εἰς τὸν τύπον τῶν ἥλων καὶ βάλω ⸂μου τὴν χεῖρα⸃ εἰς τὴν πλευρὰν αὐτοῦ, οὐ μὴ πιστεύσω.
26 Καὶ μεθʼ ἡμέρας ὀκτὼ πάλιν ἦσαν ἔσω οἱ μαθηταὶ αὐτοῦ καὶ Θωμᾶς μετʼ αὐτῶν. ἔρχεται ὁ Ἰησοῦς τῶν θυρῶν κεκλεισμένων, καὶ ἔστη εἰς τὸ μέσον καὶ εἶπεν· Εἰρήνη ὑμῖν.
27 εἶτα λέγει τῷ Θωμᾷ· Φέρε τὸν δάκτυλόν σου ὧδε καὶ ἴδε τὰς χεῖράς μου, καὶ φέρε τὴν χεῖρά σου καὶ βάλε εἰς τὴν πλευράν μου, καὶ μὴ γίνου ἄπιστος ἀλλὰ πιστός.
28 ⸀ἀπεκρίθη Θωμᾶς καὶ εἶπεν αὐτῷ· Ὁ κύριός μου καὶ ὁ θεός μου.
29 λέγει αὐτῷ ὁ Ἰησοῦς· Ὅτι ἑώρακάς με πεπίστευκας; μακάριοι οἱ μὴ ἰδόντες καὶ πιστεύσαντες.
30 Πολλὰ μὲν οὖν καὶ ἄλλα σημεῖα ἐποίησεν ὁ Ἰησοῦς ἐνώπιον τῶν ⸀μαθητῶν, ἃ οὐκ ἔστιν γεγραμμένα ἐν τῷ βιβλίῳ τούτῳ·
31 ταῦτα δὲ γέγραπται ἵνα ⸀πιστεύητε ὅτι Ἰησοῦς ἐστιν ὁ χριστὸς ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ θεοῦ, καὶ ἵνα πιστεύοντες ζωὴν ἔχητε ἐν τῷ ὀνόματι αὐτοῦ.
(19) Then it being evening on that day, the first of the sabbaths, and the doors having been locked where the disciples were assembled because of fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst and said to them, Peace to you.
(20) And saying this, He showed them His hands and side. Then seeing the Lord, the disciples rejoiced.
(21) Then Jesus said to them again, Peace to you. As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.
(22) And saying this, He breathed on them and said to them, Receive the Holy Spirit.
(23) Of whomever you may remit the sins, they are remitted to them. Of whomever you hold, they have been held.
(24) But Thomas, one of the Twelve, the one called Twin, was not with them when Jesus came.
(25) Then the other disciples said to him, We have seen the Lord. But he said to them, Unless I see the mark of the nails in His hands, and thrust my finger into the mark of the nails, and thrust my hand into His side, I will not believe, never!
(26) And after eight days, His disciples were inside again, and Thomas was with them. The door having been locked, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said, Peace to you.
(27) Then He said to Thomas, Bring your finger here and see My hands, and bring your hand and thrust into My side, and be not unbelieving, but believing.
(28) And Thomas answered and said to Him, My Lord and my God!
(29) Jesus said to him, Because you have seen Me, Thomas, you have believed. Blessed are the ones not seeing, and believing.
(30) Then truly Jesus did many other miraculous signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book.
(31) But these have been written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.