THE ASCENSION OF OUR LORD
(30 May 2019)
Acts 1:1–11; Psalm 47:1–9; Ephesians 1:15–23; Luke 24:44–53
Of the Day: LSB 491 Up Through Endless Ranks of Angels
Distribution: LSB 493 A Hymn of Glory Let Us Sing
Christ Ascended Is with You Always
In His resurrection, the Lord Jesus presented Himself alive to the apostles, “appearing to them during forty days and speaking about the kingdom of God” (Acts 1:3). Then He ascended to the right hand of the Father, not orphaning His Church, but filling all things in heaven and on earth, and giving gifts to His disciples. So today, He continues to preach “repentance and forgiveness of sins” (Luke 24:47) through “the apostles whom he had chosen” (Acts 1:2), even “to the end of the earth” (Acts 1:8). Jesus comes among us today by His Word and Spirit, whom He pours out upon “the church, which is his body” (Eph. 1:22–23). In His Church, He blesses us with forgiveness, lifts us up in His hands and seats us with Himself “in the heavenly places” (Eph. 1:20).
Encore: Worldview Everlasting – It is, like, Totally Necessary (Luke 24:36-49)
Worldview Everlasting Greek Tuesday takes on Luke 24 and then some. Luke 24:36-49
Encore: Looking Forward to Sunday Morning (3 Year Lectionary): The Ascension — Dr. Carl Fickenscher — Issues Etc.
Dr. Carl Fickenscher, Concordia Theological Seminary, Ft. Wayne, Ind., discusses the readings and propers with Pr. Todd Wilken on Issues Etc. (mp3, 56:26, 51.9 MB, 2016-May-02)
Encore: Lectionary Podcast - Ascension - Series B & C
Dr. Arthur A. Just, Jr., Concordia Theological Seminary, Ft. Wayne, Ind., discusses the Gospel reading from the Greek text
Luke 24:44–53 (SBLGNT)
44 Εἶπεν δὲ πρὸς αὐτούς· Οὗτοι οἱ λόγοι μου οὓς ἐλάλησα πρὸς ὑμᾶς ἔτι ὢν σὺν ὑμῖν, ὅτι δεῖ πληρωθῆναι πάντα τὰ γεγραμμένα ἐν τῷ νόμῳ Μωϋσέως καὶ προφήταις καὶ ψαλμοῖς περὶ ἐμοῦ.
45 τότε διήνοιξεν αὐτῶν τὸν νοῦν τοῦ συνιέναι τὰς γραφάς,
46 καὶ εἶπεν αὐτοῖς ὅτι οὕτως γέγραπται παθεῖν τὸν χριστὸν καὶ ἀναστῆναι ἐκ νεκρῶν τῇ τρίτῃ ἡμέρᾳ,
47 καὶ κηρυχθῆναι ἐπὶ τῷ ὀνόματι αὐτοῦ μετάνοιαν καὶ ἄφεσιν ἁμαρτιῶν εἰς πάντα τὰ ἔθνη— ἀρξάμενοι ἀπὸ Ἰερουσαλήμ·
48 ὑμεῖς ἐστε μάρτυρες τούτων.
49 καὶ ἰδοὺ ἐγὼ ἐξαποστέλλω τὴν ἐπαγγελίαν τοῦ πατρός μου ἐφʼ ὑμᾶς· ὑμεῖς δὲ καθίσατε ἐν τῇ πόλει ἕως οὗ ἐνδύσησθε ἐξ ὕψους δύναμιν.
50 Ἐξήγαγεν δὲ αὐτοὺς ἕως πρὸς Βηθανίαν, καὶ ἐπάρας τὰς χεῖρας αὐτοῦ εὐλόγησεν αὐτούς.
51 καὶ ἐγένετο ἐν τῷ εὐλογεῖν αὐτὸν αὐτοὺς διέστη ἀπʼ αὐτῶν [καὶ ἀνεφέρετο εἰς τὸν οὐρανόν].
52 καὶ αὐτοὶ [προσκυνήσαντες αὐτὸν] ὑπέστρεψαν εἰς Ἰερουσαλὴμ μετὰ χαρᾶς μεγάλης,
53 καὶ ἦσαν διὰ παντὸς ἐν τῷ ἱερῷ εὐλογοῦντες τὸν θεόν.
(44) And He said to them, These are the Words which I spoke to you yet being with you, that all the things must be fulfilled having been written in the Law of Moses, and the Prophets, and the Psalms, concerning Me.
(45) Then He opened up their mind to understand the Scriptures,
(46) and said to them, So it is written, and so the Christ must suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day. No OT passage
(47) And repentance and remission of sins must be preached on His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem.
(48) And you are witnesses of these things.
(49) And, behold, I send forth the promise of My Father on you. But you sit in the city of Jerusalem until you are clothed with power from on high.
(50) He led them out as far as to Bethany. And lifting up His hands, He blessed them.
(51) And it happened as He blessed them, He withdrew from them and was carried into Heaven.
(52) And worshiping Him, they returned to Jerusalem with great joy,
(53) and were continually in the temple, praising and blessing God. Amen.