SECOND SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST
Proper 7C (23 June 2019)
Isaiah 65:1–9; Psalm 3:1–8; Galatians 3:23—4:7; Luke 8:26–39
Entrance: LSB 825 Rise, Shine, You People
Of the Day: LSB 601 All Who Believe and Are Baptized
Offertory: LSB 653 In Christ There Is No East or West
Distribution: LSB 846 Your Hand, O Lord, in Days of Old
Jesus Brings Release from the Bonds of Sin, Death, and the Devil
The Lord finds those who did not seek Him or ask for Him. He spreads out His hands “to a rebellious people” (Is. 65:2) and calls them to be His people and to dwell in peace upon His holy mountain (Is. 65:9). For wherever Jesus Christ enters in, Satan is cast out. Those who were enslaved and driven mad by the assaults and accusations of the devil, are set free by the Word of Christ. He drowns and destroys the old Adam in us with the waters of Holy Baptism and thereby brings us out of death into life. No longer naked in our shame, living “among the tombs” (Luke 8:27), we are brought into the Lord’s house, fully clothed by Christ. For He has come, in “the fullness of time” (Gal. 4:4) to fulfill the Law on our behalf and to redeem us from its every accusation. Therefore, having been justified by His grace through faith in His Gospel, “you are no longer a slave, but a son” (Gal. 4:7).
Encore: Worldview Everlasting – Produce My Words (Luke 8:26-39)
The lectionary skips a chapter ahead this week as Greek Tuesday takes on Luke 8:26-39 and Jesus casting out Legion. Some of the details of this account can be confusing, so Pastor Fisk puts the whole thing in the context of what comes before and after to help it make a bit more sense. It's all about producing Jesus' words!
Encore: Worldview Everlasting – Jesus Christ of the Eco-Destruction (Luke 8:26-39)
Ecocidal Tendencies, Demonologies, 21st and a Half Century Pork, When Kittens Attack, Using Smart Cars to Destroy the World (or something like that) Running Around Naked, Gravedigging, Addiction to Pain and so much more you simply must watch.
Encore: Worldview Everlasting – The Fix: I Pity the Fool Who Believes in Hebrew Roots (Galatians 3)
Why you dissin’ the Gospel, bruh?
Encore: Looking Forward to Sunday Morning (3 Year Lectionary): Jesus Heals a Man with a Demon — Dr. Carl Fickenscher — Issues Etc.
Dr. Carl Fickenscher, Concordia Theological Seminary, Ft. Wayne, Ind., discusses the readings and propers with Pr. Todd Wilken on Issues Etc. (mp3, 57:18, 52.7 MB, 2016-June-15)
Encore: Lectionary Podcast Proper 7 - Series C - Luke 8:26-39 with Dr. Arthur Just
Dr. Arthur Just, Concordia Theological Seminary, Ft. Wayne, Ind., discusses the Gospel reading for Proper 7.
Luke 8:26–39 (SBLGNT)
26 Καὶ κατέπλευσαν εἰς τὴν χώραν τῶν Γερασηνῶν, ἥτις ἐστὶν ἀντιπέρα τῆς Γαλιλαίας.
27 ἐξελθόντι δὲ αὐτῷ ἐπὶ τὴν γῆν ὑπήντησεν ἀνήρ τις ἐκ τῆς πόλεως ἔχων δαιμόνια· καὶ χρόνῳ ἱκανῷ οὐκ ἐνεδύσατο ἱμάτιον, καὶ ἐν οἰκίᾳ οὐκ ἔμενεν ἀλλʼ ἐν τοῖς μνήμασιν.
28 ἰδὼν δὲ τὸν Ἰησοῦν ἀνακράξας προσέπεσεν αὐτῷ καὶ φωνῇ μεγάλῃ εἶπεν· Τί ἐμοὶ καὶ σοί, Ἰησοῦ υἱὲ τοῦ θεοῦ τοῦ ὑψίστου; δέομαί σου, μή με βασανίσῃς·
29 παρήγγελλεν γὰρ τῷ πνεύματι τῷ ἀκαθάρτῳ ἐξελθεῖν ἀπὸ τοῦ ἀνθρώπου. πολλοῖς γὰρ χρόνοις συνηρπάκει αὐτόν, καὶ ἐδεσμεύετο ἁλύσεσιν καὶ πέδαις φυλασσόμενος, καὶ διαρρήσσων τὰ δεσμὰ ἠλαύνετο ὑπὸ τοῦ δαιμονίου εἰς τὰς ἐρήμους.
30 ἐπηρώτησεν δὲ αὐτὸν ὁ Ἰησοῦς· Τί σοι ὄνομά ἐστιν; ὁ δὲ εἶπεν· Λεγιών, ὅτι εἰσῆλθεν δαιμόνια πολλὰ εἰς αὐτόν.
31 καὶ παρεκάλουν αὐτὸν ἵνα μὴ ἐπιτάξῃ αὐτοῖς εἰς τὴν ἄβυσσον ἀπελθεῖν.
32 Ἦν δὲ ἐκεῖ ἀγέλη χοίρων ἱκανῶν βοσκομένη ἐν τῷ ὄρει· καὶ παρεκάλεσαν αὐτὸν ἵνα ἐπιτρέψῃ αὐτοῖς εἰς ἐκείνους εἰσελθεῖν· καὶ ἐπέτρεψεν αὐτοῖς.
33 ἐξελθόντα δὲ τὰ δαιμόνια ἀπὸ τοῦ ἀνθρώπου εἰσῆλθον εἰς τοὺς χοίρους, καὶ ὥρμησεν ἡ ἀγέλη κατὰ τοῦ κρημνοῦ εἰς τὴν λίμνην καὶ ἀπεπνίγη.
34 Ἰδόντες δὲ οἱ βόσκοντες τὸ γεγονὸς ἔφυγον καὶ ἀπήγγειλαν εἰς τὴν πόλιν καὶ εἰς τοὺς ἀγρούς.
35 ἐξῆλθον δὲ ἰδεῖν τὸ γεγονὸς καὶ ἦλθον πρὸς τὸν Ἰησοῦν, καὶ εὗρον καθήμενον τὸν ἄνθρωπον ἀφʼ οὗ τὰ δαιμόνια ἐξῆλθεν ἱματισμένον καὶ σωφρονοῦντα παρὰ τοὺς πόδας τοῦ Ἰησοῦ, καὶ ἐφοβήθησαν.
36 ἀπήγγειλαν δὲ αὐτοῖς οἱ ἰδόντες πῶς ἐσώθη ὁ δαιμονισθείς.
37 καὶ ἠρώτησεν αὐτὸν ἅπαν τὸ πλῆθος τῆς περιχώρου τῶν Γερασηνῶν ἀπελθεῖν ἀπʼ αὐτῶν, ὅτι φόβῳ μεγάλῳ συνείχοντο· αὐτὸς δὲ ἐμβὰς εἰς πλοῖον ὑπέστρεψεν.
38 ἐδεῖτο δὲ αὐτοῦ ὁ ἀνὴρ ἀφʼ οὗ ἐξεληλύθει τὰ δαιμόνια εἶναι σὺν αὐτῷ· ἀπέλυσεν δὲ αὐτὸν λέγων·
39 Ὑπόστρεφε εἰς τὸν οἶκόν σου, καὶ διηγοῦ ὅσα σοι ἐποίησεν ὁ θεός. καὶ ἀπῆλθεν καθʼ ὅλην τὴν πόλιν κηρύσσων ὅσα ἐποίησεν αὐτῷ ὁ Ἰησοῦς.
(26) And they sailed down to the country of the Gadarenes, which is across from Galilee.
(27) And He going out onto the land, a certain man out of the city met Him, who had demons from a long time. (And he put no garment on; and he did not stay in a house, but among the tombs).
(28) And seeing Jesus, and crying out, he fell down before Him, and with a loud voice said, What to me and to You, Jesus, Son of God the Most High? I beg You, do not torment me.
(29) For He charged the unclean spirit to come out of the man. For many times it had seized him, and he was bound with chains and fetters, being guarded. And tearing apart the bonds, he was driven by the demons into the deserted places.
(30) And Jesus asked him, saying, What is your name? And he said, Legion (because many demons entered into him).
(31) And they begged Him that He not order them to go away into the abyss.
(32) And there was a herd of many pigs feeding there in the mount. And they begged Him that He would allow them to enter into those. And He allowed them.
(33) And coming out from the man, the demons entered into the pigs; and the herd rushed down the cliff into the lake and was choked.
(34) And seeing the thing, those feeding the pigs fled. And leaving, they reported to the city and to the farms.
(35) And they went out to see the thing happening, and came to Jesus. And they found the man from whom the demons had gone out, sitting at the feet of Jesus, clothed and of sound mind. And they were afraid.
(36) And also those who had seen related to them how the one having been demon-possessed was healed.
(37) And all the multitude of the neighborhood of the Gadarenes were seized with a great fear. And they asked Him to depart from them. And entering into the boat, He returned.
(38) And the man from whom the demons had gone out begged Him, desiring to be with Him. But Jesus sent him away, saying,
(39) Go back to your house and tell what God did to you. And he went away proclaiming through all the city what things Jesus did to him.