THIRD SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST
Proper 8C (30 June 2019)
1 Kings 19:9b–21; Psalm 16:1–11; Galatians 5:1, 13–25; Luke 9:51–62
Of the Day: LSB 688 "Come Follow Me," the Savior Spake
Offertory: LSB 691 Fruitful Trees, the Spirit’s Sowing
Distribution: LSB 595 O Blessed Spring
Closing: LSB 685 Let Us Ever Walk with Jesus
Christ’s Messengers Proclaim His Kingdom
When the prophet Elijah became discouraged and despaired of his life, “the Word of the Lord came to him” (1 Kings 19:9b) and stood him “on the mount before the Lord” (1 Kings 19:11). The Lord made Himself known to the prophet—not in the impressive power of gale force winds, nor in an earthquake, and nor in the fire, but in “the sound of a low whisper” (1 Kings 19:12). Today God reveals Himself among us through the frail preaching of the Gospel. The Son of Man sends “messengers ahead of Him . . . to make preparations for Him” (Luke 9:51–52). Putting their hand to that plow of preaching, they “go and proclaim the kingdom of God,” and they do not look back (Luke 9:60, 62). What they preach is not the power of the Law with its “yoke of slavery” (Gal. 5:1), but the power of God unto salvation through the Gospel of forgiveness, by which “Christ has set us free” (Gal. 5:1).
Encore: Worldview Everlasting – DOUBLESTRIKE! Char-broiled Samaritan (Luke 9:51-62)
Greek 2sday, Luke 9:51-62, Fire in the Sky, Dust between the Toes, Oooh oooh me me but but but, plus: Not so Sweet Sharia, Hair Plugs for St. Paul, When the Worst Construction is the Best Construction, and let that be a lesson to you, Ted Turner!
Encore: Looking Forward to Sunday Morning (3 Year Lectionary): The Cost of Jesus’ Call — Dr. Carl Fickenscher — Issues Etc.
Dr. Carl Fickenscher, Concordia Theological Seminary, Ft. Wayne, Ind., discusses the readings and propers with Pr. Todd Wilken on Issues Etc. (mp3, 57:20, 52.7 MB, 2016-June-20)
Encore: Lectionary Podcast - Proper 8 - Series C - Luke 9:51–62 with Dr. Arthur Just
Dr. Arthur Just, Concordia Theological Seminary, Ft. Wayne, Ind., discusses the Gospel reading for the coming Sunday.
Luke 9:51–62 (SBLGNT)
51 Ἐγένετο δὲ ἐν τῷ συμπληροῦσθαι τὰς ἡμέρας τῆς ἀναλήμψεως αὐτοῦ καὶ αὐτὸς τὸ πρόσωπον ἐστήρισεν τοῦ πορεύεσθαι εἰς Ἰερουσαλήμ,
52 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν ἀγγέλους πρὸ προσώπου αὐτοῦ. καὶ πορευθέντες εἰσῆλθον εἰς κώμην Σαμαριτῶν, ὡς ἑτοιμάσαι αὐτῷ·
53 καὶ οὐκ ἐδέξαντο αὐτόν, ὅτι τὸ πρόσωπον αὐτοῦ ἦν πορευόμενον εἰς Ἰερουσαλήμ.
54 ἰδόντες δὲ οἱ μαθηταὶ Ἰάκωβος καὶ Ἰωάννης εἶπαν· Κύριε, θέλεις εἴπωμεν πῦρ καταβῆναι ἀπὸ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ καὶ ἀναλῶσαι αὐτούς;
55 στραφεὶς δὲ ἐπετίμησεν αὐτοῖς.
56 καὶ ἐπορεύθησαν εἰς ἑτέραν κώμην.
57 Καὶ πορευομένων αὐτῶν ἐν τῇ ὁδῷ εἶπέν τις πρὸς αὐτόν· Ἀκολουθήσω σοι ὅπου ἐὰν ἀπέρχῃ.
58 καὶ εἶπεν αὐτῷ ὁ Ἰησοῦς· Αἱ ἀλώπεκες φωλεοὺς ἔχουσιν καὶ τὰ πετεινὰ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ κατασκηνώσεις, ὁ δὲ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου οὐκ ἔχει ποῦ τὴν κεφαλὴν κλίνῃ.
59 εἶπεν δὲ πρὸς ἕτερον· Ἀκολούθει μοι. ὁ δὲ εἶπεν· Κύριε, ἐπίτρεψόν μοι ἀπελθόντι πρῶτον θάψαι τὸν πατέρα μου.
60 εἶπεν δὲ αὐτῷ· Ἄφες τοὺς νεκροὺς θάψαι τοὺς ἑαυτῶν νεκρούς, σὺ δὲ ἀπελθὼν διάγγελλε τὴν βασιλείαν τοῦ θεοῦ.
61 εἶπεν δὲ καὶ ἕτερος· Ἀκολουθήσω σοι, κύριε· πρῶτον δὲ ἐπίτρεψόν μοι ἀποτάξασθαι τοῖς εἰς τὸν οἶκόν μου.
62 εἶπεν δὲ ὁ Ἰησοῦς· Οὐδεὶς ἐπιβαλὼν τὴν χεῖρα ἐπʼ ἄροτρον καὶ βλέπων εἰς τὰ ὀπίσω εὔθετός ἐστιν τῇ βασιλείᾳ τοῦ θεοῦ.
(51) And it happened in the fulfilling of the days of His taking up, even He set His face to go to Jerusalem.
(52) And He sent messengers before His face. And going they went into a village of Samaritans, so as to make ready for Him.
(53) And they did not receive Him, because His face was going toward Jerusalem.
(54) And seeing, His disciples, James and John, said Lord, do You desire that we tell fire to come down from Heaven, and to destroy them even as Elijah did? 2 K. 1:10-12
(55) But turning He rebuked them. And He said, You do not know of what spirit you are.
(56) For the Son of Man did not come to destroy men's lives, but to save. And they went to another village.
(57) And it happened as they were going in the way, one said to Him, I will follow You everywhere You may go, Lord.
(58) And Jesus said to him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the heaven have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere He may lay His head.
(59) And He said to another, Follow Me. But he said, Lord, allow me to go first to bury my father.
(60) But Jesus said to him, Leave the dead to bury their dead, but going out, you announce the kingdom of God.
(61) And also another said, I will follow You, Lord, but first allow me to take leave of those in my house.
(62) But Jesus said to him, No one putting his hand on the plow, and looking at the things behind, is fit for the kingdom of God.