THIRTEENTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST
Proper 15C (18 August 2019)
Jeremiah 23:16–29; Psalm 119:81–88; Hebrews 11:17–31, 32–40, 12:1–3; Luke 12:49–53, 54–56
Entrance: LSB 836 O God of Light
Of the Day: LSB 655 Lord, Keep Us Steadfast in Your Word
Distribution: LSB 720 We Walk by Faith and Not by Sight
Christ’s Suffering and Death Bring Division
The Lord Jesus causes fear and trembling and division because His Word is “like fire ... and like a hammer which shatters a rock” (Jer. 23:29). His Law puts us all to death, whereas only His Gospel can bring us to life. He has fulfilled that Word for us by His cross and in His resurrection from the dead. He undergoes such a distressing Baptism, accomplished by His death, in order to open the way for us through our Holy Baptism into His cross and resurrection. So, then, if we are able “to analyze the appearance of the earth and the sky” (Luke 12:56), let us mark this sign of His cross—recognizing that this world is subject to death, but knowing that Christ Jesus has also conquered death and obtained life everlasting for us. Let us fix our eyes “on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith” and “run with endurance the race that is set before us” (Heb. 12:1–2).
Encore: Worldview Everlasting – The Little Black Reign Cloud of God (Luke 12:49-56)
Greek2sday, Luke 12:49-56, Gonna Make you Sweat, End Things, Casting Fire, God is Angry, What is the Baptism, Romans 6 is Awesome, How Great is My Blank, Emo Jesus Being Committed, Goldmine Greek Words, the Last Day Come Early, On Your Mind 2, Wrath of the King Makes for a Lot of Long Division, Tut Tut, Install Complete, and duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh.
Encore: Worldview Everlasting – Dropkick: Doubt, Sawn in Two (Heb 11:17-40; 12:1-3)
Worldview Everlasting Dropkicks on Hebrews 11:17ff, coming to grips with faith, doubt, danger and hope found in the author of salvation: Jesus.
Encore: Looking Forward to Sunday Morning (3 Year Lectionary): I Have Not Come to Bring Peace — Dr. Carl Fickenscher — Issues Etc.
Dr. Carl Fickenscher, Concordia Theological Seminary, Ft. Wayne, Ind., discusses the readings and propers with Pr. Todd Wilken on Issues Etc. (mp3, 57:49, 53.1 MB, 2016-Aug-08)
Encore: Lectionary Podcast - Proper 15 - Series C - Luke 12:49-53 with Dr. Arthur Just
Dr. Arthur Just, Concordia Theological Seminary, Ft. Wayne, Ind., discusses Luke 12:49-53
Luke 12:49-56 (SBLGNT)
49 Πῦρ ἦλθον βαλεῖν ἐπὶ τὴν γῆν, καὶ τί θέλω εἰ ἤδη ἀνήφθη;
50 βάπτισμα δὲ ἔχω βαπτισθῆναι, καὶ πῶς συνέχομαι ἕως ὅτου τελεσθῇ.
51 δοκεῖτε ὅτι εἰρήνην παρεγενόμην δοῦναι ἐν τῇ γῇ; οὐχί, λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀλλʼ ἢ διαμερισμόν.
52 ἔσονται γὰρ ἀπὸ τοῦ νῦν πέντε ἐν ἑνὶ οἴκῳ διαμεμερισμένοι, τρεῖς ἐπὶ δυσὶν καὶ δύο ἐπὶ τρισίν,
53 διαμερισθήσονται πατὴρ ἐπὶ υἱῷ καὶ υἱὸς ἐπὶ πατρί, μήτηρ ἐπὶ θυγατέρα καὶ θυγάτηρ ἐπὶ τὴν μητέρα, πενθερὰ ἐπὶ τὴν νύμφην αὐτῆς καὶ νύμφη ἐπὶ τὴν πενθεράν.
54 Ἔλεγεν δὲ καὶ τοῖς ὄχλοις· Ὅταν ἴδητε νεφέλην ἀνατέλλουσαν ἐπὶ δυσμῶν, εὐθέως λέγετε ὅτι Ὄμβρος ἔρχεται, καὶ γίνεται οὕτως·
55 καὶ ὅταν νότον πνέοντα, λέγετε ὅτι Καύσων ἔσται, καὶ γίνεται.
56 ὑποκριταί, τὸ πρόσωπον τῆς γῆς καὶ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ οἴδατε δοκιμάζειν, τὸν δὲ καιρὸν τοῦτον πῶς οὐκ οἴδατε δοκιμάζειν;
(49) I came to hurl fire into the earth, and what will I if it already has been lit?
(50) But I have a baptism to be immersed in, and how am I pressed until it is done!
(51) Do you think that I came to give peace in the earth? No, I say to you, But rather division.
(52) For from now on five in one house will have been divided, three against two, and two against three.
(53) Father will be divided against son, and son against father; mother against daughter, and daughter against mother; mother-in-law against her bride, "and the bride against her mother-in-law."
(54) And He also said to the crowd, When you see the cloud rising up from the west, you immediately say, A storm is coming; and it happens so.
(55) And when a south wind is blowing, you say, There will be heat; and it occurs.
(56) Hypocrites! You know to discern the face of the earth and of the heaven, but how is it you do not discern this time?