FOURTEENTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST
Proper 19C (15 September 2019)
Ezekiel 34:11–24; Psalm 119:169–176; 1 Timothy 1:5–11, 12–17; Luke 15:1–10
Entrance: LSB 791 All People That on Earth Do Dwell
Of the Day: LSB 609 Jesus Sinners Doth Receive
Offertory: LSB 711 Savior, like a Shepherd Lead Us
Distribution: LSB 709 The King of Love My Shepherd Is
Dist: LSB 740 I Am Jesus’ Little Lamb
Closing: LSB 506 Glory Be to God the Father
Jesus Christ Is the Great Shepherd of His Sheep
“It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners” (1 Tim. 1:15). As He had mercy on Paul, in order to “demonstrate His perfect patience” (1 Tim. 1:16), so also does He seek out His sheep “from all the places to which they were scattered on a cloudy and gloomy day” (Ezek. 34:12). To deliver His flock, He “will seek the lost, bring back the scattered, bind up the broken, and strengthen the sick” (Ezek. 34:16), and “they will no longer be a prey” (Ezek. 34:22). He sets over them one great Good Shepherd, the Son of David, who “will feed them himself and be their shepherd” (Ezek. 34:23). For Christ Jesus is the one Man who, “if he has a hundred sheep and has lost one of them,” would “leave the ninety-nine in the open pasture, and go after the one which is lost, until he finds it” (Luke 15:4). When He finds the lost one and brings it home rejoicing, “the angels of God” and all the company of heaven rejoice with Him, with great joy (Luke 15:7, 10).
Courtesy: LCMS (except hymn video)
Looking Forward to Sunday Morning (3 Year Lectionary): Luke 15 — Dr. Carl Fickenscher — Issues Etc.
Dr. Carl Fickenscher, Concordia Theological Seminary, Ft. Wayne, Ind., discusses the readings and propers with Pr. Todd Wilken on Issues Etc. (mp3, 57:38, 53.0 MB, 2016-Sept-06)
Lectionary Podcast Proper 19 - Series C - Luke 15:1-10 with Dr. Peter Scaer
Dr. Peter Scaer, Concordia Theological Seminary, Ft. Wayne, Ind., discusses the Gospel reading
Luke 15:1-10 (SBLGNT)
1 Ἦσαν δὲ αὐτῷ ἐγγίζοντες πάντες οἱ τελῶναι καὶ οἱ ἁμαρτωλοὶ ἀκούειν αὐτοῦ.
2 καὶ διεγόγγυζον οἵ τε Φαρισαῖοι καὶ οἱ γραμματεῖς λέγοντες ὅτι Οὗτος ἁμαρτωλοὺς προσδέχεται καὶ συνεσθίει αὐτοῖς.
3 εἶπεν δὲ πρὸς αὐτοὺς τὴν παραβολὴν ταύτην λέγων·
4 Τίς ἄνθρωπος ἐξ ὑμῶν ἔχων ἑκατὸν πρόβατα καὶ ἀπολέσας ἐξ αὐτῶν ἓν οὐ καταλείπει τὰ ἐνενήκοντα ἐννέα ἐν τῇ ἐρήμῳ καὶ πορεύεται ἐπὶ τὸ ἀπολωλὸς ἕως εὕρῃ αὐτό;
5 καὶ εὑρὼν ἐπιτίθησιν ἐπὶ τοὺς ὤμους αὐτοῦ χαίρων,
6 καὶ ἐλθὼν εἰς τὸν οἶκον συγκαλεῖ τοὺς φίλους καὶ τοὺς γείτονας, λέγων αὐτοῖς· Συγχάρητέ μοι ὅτι εὗρον τὸ πρόβατόν μου τὸ ἀπολωλός.
7 λέγω ὑμῖν ὅτι οὕτως χαρὰ ἐν τῷ οὐρανῷ ἔσται ἐπὶ ἑνὶ ἁμαρτωλῷ μετανοοῦντι ἢ ἐπὶ ἐνενήκοντα ἐννέα δικαίοις οἵτινες οὐ χρείαν ἔχουσιν μετανοίας.
8 Ἢ τίς γυνὴ δραχμὰς ἔχουσα δέκα, ἐὰν ἀπολέσῃ δραχμὴν μίαν, οὐχὶ ἅπτει λύχνον καὶ σαροῖ τὴν οἰκίαν καὶ ζητεῖ ἐπιμελῶς ἕως οὗ εὕρῃ;
9 καὶ εὑροῦσα συγκαλεῖ τὰς φίλας καὶ γείτονας λέγουσα· Συγχάρητέ μοι ὅτι εὗρον τὴν δραχμὴν ἣν ἀπώλεσα.
10 οὕτως, λέγω ὑμῖν, γίνεται χαρὰ ἐνώπιον τῶν ἀγγέλων τοῦ θεοῦ ἐπὶ ἑνὶ ἁμαρτωλῷ μετανοοῦντι.
(1) And all the tax collectors and sinners were coming near to Him, to hear Him.
(2) And the Pharisees and the scribes murmured, saying, This one receives sinners and eats with them.
(3) And He spoke to them this parable, saying,
(4) What man of you having a hundred sheep, and losing one of them, does not leave the ninety nine in the deserted place and go after the lost one until he finds it?
(5) And finding it, he puts it on his shoulders, rejoicing.
(6) And coming to the house, he calls together the friends and neighbors, saying to them, Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that had been lost.
(7) I say to you that so is joy in Heaven over one sinner repenting, than over ninety nine righteous ones who have no need of repentance.
(8) Or what woman having ten drachmas, if she loses one drachma does not light a lamp and sweep the house, and look carefully until she finds it?
(9) And finding it, she calls together the friends and neighbors, saying, Rejoice with me, for I have found the drachma which I lost.
(10) I say to you, So there is joy before the angels of God over one sinner repenting.