TWENTY-THIRD SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST
Proper 28 (17 November 2019)
Malachi 4:1–6; Psalm 98:1–9; 2 Thessalonians 3:1–5, 6–13; Luke 21:5–28, 29–36
Hymn of Invocation
Lord, keep us steadfast in Your Word (LSB 655)
Hymn of the Day
The day is surely drawing near (LSB 508)
Hymns for the Distribution of the Holy Communion
If thou but trust in God to guide thee (LSB 750) (Catechetical)
Wake, awake, for night is flying (LSB 516)
O Savior, rend the heavens wide (LSB 355)
Sing with all the saints in glory (LSB 671)
Hymn of Departure
Lord of our life and God of our salvation (LSB 659)
God’s Plan of Redemption Trumps Earthly Destruction and Violence
There are signs of the Lord’s coming all around: the cross that marks His Church, the violence and death of the sinful world, and the shaking of the natural order. “There will be great distress upon the earth” (Luke 21:23), but the faithful know that “the kingdom of God is near” (Luke 21:31). Therefore, “straighten up and raise your heads, because your redemption is drawing near” (Luke 21:28). Be awake and alert, and heed the words of Christ, which “will not pass away” (Luke 21:33). For you “the sun of righteousness shall rise with healing in its wings” (Mal. 4:2). He sends His preachers of repentance in the spirit and power of Elijah “before the great and awesome day of the Lord comes” (Mal. 4:5), in order to “direct your hearts to the love of God and to the steadfastness of Christ” (2 Thess. 3:5). Although you are often faithless, “the Lord is faithful,” and by the preaching of His Word “He will establish you and guard you against the evil one” (2 Thess. 3:3). Therefore, “do not grow weary in doing good” (2 Thess. 3:13). In the midst of calamity, believe upon the Lord, Jesus Christ.
Looking Forward to Sunday Morning (3 Year Lectionary): Luke 21:5-28 — Dr. Carl Fickenscher — Issues Etc.
Dr. Carl Fickenscher, Concordia Theological Seminary, Ft. Wayne, Ind., discusses the readings and propers with Pr. Todd Wilken on Issues Etc. (mp3, 57:12, 31.5 MB, 2016-Nov-07)
Lectionary Podcast - Proper 28 - Series C - Luke 21:5-28 with Dr. Charles Gieschen
Dr. Charles Gieschen, Concordia Theological Seminary, Ft. Wayne, Ind., discusses Luke 21:5-28
5 Καί τινων λεγόντων περὶ τοῦ ἱεροῦ, ὅτι λίθοις καλοῖς καὶ ἀναθήμασιν κεκόσμηται εἶπεν·
6 Ταῦτα ἃ θεωρεῖτε, ἐλεύσονται ἡμέραι ἐν αἷς οὐκ ἀφεθήσεται λίθος ἐπὶ λίθῳ ὃς οὐ καταλυθήσεται.
7 Ἐπηρώτησαν δὲ αὐτὸν λέγοντες· Διδάσκαλε, πότε οὖν ταῦτα ἔσται, καὶ τί τὸ σημεῖον ὅταν μέλλῃ ταῦτα γίνεσθαι;
8 ὁ δὲ εἶπεν· Βλέπετε μὴ πλανηθῆτε· πολλοὶ γὰρ ἐλεύσονται ἐπὶ τῷ ὀνόματί μου λέγοντες· Ἐγώ εἰμι καί· Ὁ καιρὸς ἤγγικεν· μὴ πορευθῆτε ὀπίσω αὐτῶν.
9 ὅταν δὲ ἀκούσητε πολέμους καὶ ἀκαταστασίας, μὴ πτοηθῆτε· δεῖ γὰρ ταῦτα γενέσθαι πρῶτον, ἀλλʼ οὐκ εὐθέως τὸ τέλος.
10 τότε ἔλεγεν αὐτοῖς· Ἐγερθήσεται ἔθνος ἐπʼ ἔθνος καὶ βασιλεία ἐπὶ βασιλείαν,
11 σεισμοί τε μεγάλοι καὶ κατὰ τόπους λιμοὶ καὶ λοιμοὶ ἔσονται, φόβητρά τε καὶ σημεῖα ἀπʼ οὐρανοῦ μεγάλα ἔσται.
12 Πρὸ δὲ τούτων πάντων ἐπιβαλοῦσιν ἐφʼ ὑμᾶς τὰς χεῖρας αὐτῶν καὶ διώξουσιν, παραδιδόντες εἰς τὰς συναγωγὰς καὶ φυλακάς, ἀπαγομένους ἐπὶ βασιλεῖς καὶ ἡγεμόνας ἕνεκεν τοῦ ὀνόματός μου·
13 ἀποβήσεται ὑμῖν εἰς μαρτύριον.
14 θέτε οὖν ἐν ταῖς καρδίαις ὑμῶν μὴ προμελετᾶν ἀπολογηθῆναι,
15 ἐγὼ γὰρ δώσω ὑμῖν στόμα καὶ σοφίαν ᾗ οὐ δυνήσονται ἀντιστῆναι ἢ ἀντειπεῖν ἅπαντες οἱ ἀντικείμενοι ὑμῖν.
16 παραδοθήσεσθε δὲ καὶ ὑπὸ γονέων καὶ ἀδελφῶν καὶ συγγενῶν καὶ φίλων, καὶ θανατώσουσιν ἐξ ὑμῶν,
17 καὶ ἔσεσθε μισούμενοι ὑπὸ πάντων διὰ τὸ ὄνομά μου.
18 καὶ θρὶξ ἐκ τῆς κεφαλῆς ὑμῶν οὐ μὴ ἀπόληται.
19 ἐν τῇ ὑπομονῇ ὑμῶν κτήσασθε τὰς ψυχὰς ὑμῶν.
20 Ὅταν δὲ ἴδητε κυκλουμένην ὑπὸ στρατοπέδων Ἰερουσαλήμ, τότε γνῶτε ὅτι ἤγγικεν ἡ ἐρήμωσις αὐτῆς.
21 τότε οἱ ἐν τῇ Ἰουδαίᾳ φευγέτωσαν εἰς τὰ ὄρη, καὶ οἱ ἐν μέσῳ αὐτῆς ἐκχωρείτωσαν, καὶ οἱ ἐν ταῖς χώραις μὴ εἰσερχέσθωσαν εἰς αὐτήν,
22 ὅτι ἡμέραι ἐκδικήσεως αὗταί εἰσιν τοῦ πλησθῆναι πάντα τὰ γεγραμμένα.
23 οὐαὶ ταῖς ἐν γαστρὶ ἐχούσαις καὶ ταῖς θηλαζούσαις ἐν ἐκείναις ταῖς ἡμέραις· ἔσται γὰρ ἀνάγκη μεγάλη ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς καὶ ὀργὴ τῷ λαῷ τούτῳ,
24 καὶ πεσοῦνται στόματι μαχαίρης καὶ αἰχμαλωτισθήσονται εἰς τὰ ἔθνη πάντα, καὶ Ἰερουσαλὴμ ἔσται πατουμένη ὑπὸ ἐθνῶν, ἄχρι οὗ πληρωθῶσιν καιροὶ ἐθνῶν.
25 Καὶ ἔσονται σημεῖα ἐν ἡλίῳ καὶ σελήνῃ καὶ ἄστροις, καὶ ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς συνοχὴ ἐθνῶν ἐν ἀπορίᾳ ἤχους θαλάσσης καὶ σάλου,
26 ἀποψυχόντων ἀνθρώπων ἀπὸ φόβου καὶ προσδοκίας τῶν ἐπερχομένων τῇ οἰκουμένῃ, αἱ γὰρ δυνάμεις τῶν οὐρανῶν σαλευθήσονται.
27 καὶ τότε ὄψονται τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ ἀνθρώπου ἐρχόμενον ἐν νεφέλῃ μετὰ δυνάμεως καὶ δόξης πολλῆς.
28 ἀρχομένων δὲ τούτων γίνεσθαι ἀνακύψατε καὶ ἐπάρατε τὰς κεφαλὰς ὑμῶν, διότι ἐγγίζει ἡ ἀπολύτρωσις ὑμῶν.
(5) And as some were speaking about the temple, that it had been adorned with beautiful stones and gifts, He said,
(6) As to these things that you see, days will come in which a stone will not be left on a stone, which will not be thrown down.
(7) And they asked Him, saying, Teacher, then when will these things be? And what will be the sign when these things are about to happen?
(8) And He said, Watch that you not be led astray. For many will come on My name, saying, I AM! Also, The time has come! Do not go after them.
(9) And when you hear of wars and disturbances, do not be afraid. For these things must first occur, but the end is not at once.
(10) Then He said to them, Nation will be lifted up against nation, and kingdom against kingdom.
(11) Also there will be great earthquakes from place to place, and famines, and plagues. And also there will be terrors and great signs from Heaven.
(12) But before all these things, they will lay their hands on you, and will persecute you, delivering you into the synagogues and prisons, being led away before kings and governors on account of My name.
(13) But it will return to you for a testimony.
(14) Then put into your hearts not to premeditate to make a defense.
(15) For I will give you a mouth and wisdom which all those opposing you will not be able to withstand or contradict.
(16) But you will be betrayed also by parents, and brothers, and relatives, and friends. And they will put some of you to death.
(17) And you will be hated by all because of My name.
(18) And a hair of your head shall in no way perish.
(19) By your patience you will gain your souls.
(20) And when you see Jerusalem being encircled by armies, then recognize that its destruction has come near.
(21) Then let those in Judea flee into the mountains; and those in its midst, let them go out. And those in the open spaces, let them not go into her.
(22) For these are days of vengeance when all things that have been written are to be fulfilled.
(23) But woe to the pregnant women, and the ones suckling in those days; for great distress will be on the earth and wrath on this people.
(24) And they will fall by the mouth of the sword and will be led captive to all the nations. And Jerusalem will be trodden down by nations, until the times of the nations are fulfilled.
(25) And there will be signs in the sun and moon and stars. And on the earth will be anxiety of nations with bewilderment, roaring of sea and of surf,
(26) men fainting from fear, and expectation of the things coming on the earth. For the powers of the heavens will be shaken.
(27) And then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and much glory.
(28) But these things beginning to happen, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near.