All Saints’ Sunday (Observed)
Revelation 7:2–8, 9–17; Ps. 149:1-9; 1 John 3:1–3; Matthew 5:1–12
Christ Jesus lay in death’s strong bands (LSB 458)
Hymn of the Day
Hymns for the Distribution of the Holy Communion
At the Lamb’s high feast we sing (LSB 633)
Behold a host, arrayed in white (LSB 676)
Saints Are Blessed in the Eternal Presence of Christ
“A great multitude from all tribes and peoples and languages,” cry out “salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne” (Rev. 7:9–17). Faith-filled saints from every place and time with unified voices eternally magnify the Lamb of God. As His beloved children, we too, “shall see him as he is” (1 John 3:1–3). Joined with the throng of angels and a myriad of saints, we shall “serve him day and night in his temple” (Rev. 7:9–17). In our earthly tension vacillating between saint and sinner, faith and doubt, sacred and profane, we earnestly seek Jesus to calm our fears, comfort our spirits, and forgive our sins. The Holy Spirit, through faith in Christ propels us forward, fortifying us in Word and Sacrament, to our eternal home. In the midst of our constant struggle as believers, we need to be blessed. And so we are. The poor in spirit, the meek, the hungry, the thirsty, the merciful, the pure, and the persecuted are all blessed and we will most certainly inherit the kingdom of heaven (Matt. 5:1–12).
Hymns: Dr. Richard Stuckwisch
Pastors’ Roundtable -- “The Beatitudes”, Matthew 5:1-12 – Issues Etc
Pr. Jon Furgeson of Peace Lutheran, St. Louis, Mo., and Pr. Ernie Lassman of Messiah Lutheran, Seattle, Wash., discuss Matthew 5:1-12 with Pr Todd Wilken (mp3, 54:29, 21.9 MB, 2011-Nov-03)
Looking Forward to Sunday Morning (3 Year Lectionary): All Saints’ Day Observed — Dr. Carl Fickenscher — Issues Etc.
Dr. Carl Fickenscher, Concordia Theological Seminary, Ft. Wayne, Ind., discusses the readings and propers with Pr. Todd Wilken on Issues Etc. (mp3, 10:07, 9.3 MB, 2017-Nov-01)
Lawless Beatitudes: How Jesus Uses Isaiah to Summarize the Blessed Life, Not to Give Us a To-Do List - Chad Bird
Lectionary Podcast - All Saints Sunday - Matthew 5:1-12 with Dr. Charles A. Gieschen
Dr. Charles A. Gieschen, Concordia Theological Seminary, Ft. Wayne, Ind., discusses the Gospel lesson from the Greek text.
1 Ἰδὼν δὲ τοὺς ὄχλους ἀνέβη εἰς τὸ ὄρος· καὶ καθίσαντος αὐτοῦ προσῆλθαν αὐτῷ οἱ μαθηταὶ αὐτοῦ·
2 καὶ ἀνοίξας τὸ στόμα αὐτοῦ ἐδίδασκεν αὐτοὺς λέγων·
3 Μακάριοι οἱ πτωχοὶ τῷ πνεύματι, ὅτι αὐτῶν ἐστιν ἡ βασιλεία τῶν οὐρανῶν.
4 μακάριοι οἱ πενθοῦντες, ὅτι αὐτοὶ παρακληθήσονται.
5 μακάριοι οἱ πραεῖς, ὅτι αὐτοὶ κληρονομήσουσι τὴν γῆν.
6 μακάριοι οἱ πεινῶντες καὶ διψῶντες τὴν δικαιοσύνην, ὅτι αὐτοὶ χορτασθήσονται.
7 μακάριοι οἱ ἐλεήμονες, ὅτι αὐτοὶ ἐλεηθήσονται.
8 μακάριοι οἱ καθαροὶ τῇ καρδίᾳ, ὅτι αὐτοὶ τὸν θεὸν ὄψονται.
9 μακάριοι οἱ εἰρηνοποιοί, ὅτι αὐτοὶ υἱοὶ θεοῦ κληθήσονται.
10 μακάριοι οἱ δεδιωγμένοι ἕνεκεν δικαιοσύνης, ὅτι αὐτῶν ἐστιν ἡ βασιλεία τῶν οὐρανῶν.
11 μακάριοί ἐστε ὅταν ὀνειδίσωσιν ὑμᾶς καὶ διώξωσιν καὶ εἴπωσιν πᾶν ⸀πονηρὸν καθʼ ὑμῶν ψευδόμενοι ἕνεκεν ἐμοῦ.
12 χαίρετε καὶ ἀγαλλιᾶσθε, ὅτι ὁ μισθὸς ὑμῶν πολὺς ἐν τοῖς οὐρανοῖς· οὕτως γὰρ ἐδίωξαν τοὺς προφήτας τοὺς πρὸ ὑμῶν.
(1) But seeing the crowds, He went up into the mountain, and seating Himself, His disciples came near to Him.
(2) And opening His mouth, He taught them, saying:
(3) Blessed are the poor in spirit! For theirs is the kingdom of the Heavens.
(4) Blessed are the ones mourning! For they shall be comforted.
(5) Blessed are the meek! For they shall inherit the earth.
(6) Blessed are they who hunger and thirst after righteousness! For they shall be filled.
(7) Blessed are the merciful! For they shall obtain mercy.
(8) Blessed are the pure in heart! For they shall see God.
(9) Blessed are the peacemakers! For they shall be called sons of God.
(10) Blessed are they who have been persecuted for righteousness' sake! For theirs is the kingdom of Heaven.
(11) Blessed are you when they shall reproach you, and persecute you, and shall say every evil word against you, lying, on account of Me.
(12) Rejoice and leap for joy, for your reward is great in Heaven; for in this way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Scripture quotations marked SBLGNT are from the SBL Greek New Testament. Copyright © 2010 Society of Biblical Literature and Logos Bible Software. Holmes, M. W. (2011–2013). The Greek New Testament: SBL Edition. Lexham Press; Society of Biblical Literature.