Seventh Sunday after the Epiphany
(24 February 2019)
Gen. 45:3-15; Ps. 103:1-13; 1 Corinthians 15:21-26, 30-42; Luke 6:27-38
Entrance: LSB 820 My Soul, Now Praise Your Maker
Of the Day: LSB 834 O God, O Lord of Heaven and Earth
Offertory: LSB 544 O Love, How Deep
Distribution: LSB 851 Lord of Glory, You Have Bought Us;
Closing: LSB 692 Praise to You and Adoration
As the Son of God Is Merciful and Forgives Your Sins, You Also Be Merciful and Forgive
Your inheritance as a child of Adam is sin and death, but in Christ you are made alive through His resurrection from the dead (1 Cor. 15:21–22). As you have died with Him in Holy Baptism, so are you raised with Him to newness of life. Therefore, “do not go on sinning” (1 Cor. 15:34). Instead of serving your desires and harming your neighbors, live as “sons of the Most High,” and “be merciful, even as your Father is merciful” (Luke 6:35–36). Deal with others as you would have others deal with you (Luke 6:31, 37–38). As Christ loved you when you were at enmity with Him, as He blessed and prayed for those who abused Him, and as He did good to those who hated Him and hurt Him, so also “love your enemies, do good” (Luke 6:27–29, 35). For God sent His Son to bear the cross and suffer death, not to condemn the guilty, but “to preserve life.” So does He provide a place for you within His Church, where He is near and deals kindly with “you and your children and your children’s children” (Gen. 45:5–10).
Lectionary Podcast - Epiphany 7 - Series C - Luke 6:27-38 with Dr. Arthur A. Just Jr.
Dr. Arthur A. Just, Jr., Concordia Theological Seminary, Ft. Wayne, Ind., exegetes the Gospel for Epiphany 7
27 Ἀλλὰ ὑμῖν λέγω τοῖς ἀκούουσιν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν, καλῶς ποιεῖτε τοῖς μισοῦσιν ὑμᾶς,
29 τῷ τύπτοντί σε ἐπὶ τὴν σιαγόνα πάρεχε καὶ τὴν ἄλλην, καὶ ἀπὸ τοῦ αἴροντός σου τὸ ἱμάτιον καὶ τὸν χιτῶνα μὴ κωλύσῃς.
30 ⸀παντὶ αἰτοῦντί σε δίδου, καὶ ἀπὸ τοῦ αἴροντος τὰ σὰ μὴ ἀπαίτει.
31 καὶ καθὼς θέλετε ἵνα ποιῶσιν ὑμῖν οἱ ⸀ἄνθρωποι, ποιεῖτε αὐτοῖς ὁμοίως.
32 Καὶ εἰ ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἀγαπῶντας ὑμᾶς, ποία ὑμῖν χάρις ἐστίν; καὶ γὰρ οἱ ἁμαρτωλοὶ τοὺς ἀγαπῶντας αὐτοὺς ἀγαπῶσιν.
35 πλὴν ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν καὶ ἀγαθοποιεῖτε καὶ δανίζετε μηδὲν ἀπελπίζοντες· καὶ ἔσται ὁ μισθὸς ὑμῶν πολύς, καὶ ἔσεσθε υἱοὶ Ὑψίστου, ὅτι αὐτὸς χρηστός ἐστιν ἐπὶ τοὺς ἀχαρίστους καὶ πονηρούς.
37 Καὶ μὴ κρίνετε, καὶ οὐ μὴ κριθῆτε· ⸀καὶ μὴ καταδικάζετε, καὶ οὐ μὴ καταδικασθῆτε. ἀπολύετε, καὶ ἀπολυθήσεσθε·
(27) But I say to you, Those hearing: Love the ones hostile to you, do good to those hating you,
(28) bless those cursing you and pray for those insulting you.
(29) To those striking you on the cheek, turn the other also. And from those taking your garment, do not keep back the tunic also.
(30) And to everyone asking you, give. And do not ask back from those taking your things.
(31) And according as you desire that men should do to you, you also do the same to them.
(32) And if you love those who love you, what thanks is there to you? For even sinners love those who love them.
(33) And if you do good to those who do good to you, what thanks is there to you? For even the sinners do the same.
(34) And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive, what thanks is there to you? For the sinners lend to sinners so that they may receive the equal things.
(35) But love the ones hostile to you, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be much; and you will be sons of the Most High, for He is kind to the unthankful and evil ones.
(36) Therefore, be merciful, even as your Father also is merciful.
(37) Judge not, and in no way be judged. Do not condemn, and in no way you will be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.
(38) Give, and good measure will be given to you, pressed down and shaken together, and running over, they will give into your bosom. For the same measure which you measure, it will be measured back to you.
4801 E. 6th St
Christ Lutheran Church is a member of the Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod.
9:30 am Divine Service
10:45 am Sunday School and Bible Classes (except August)
Thanksgiving Day Matins, 9:30 am
Midweek (Wednesday) Advent Services, 7:00 pm
Christmas Eve Candlelight, 5:00 pm
Christmas Day Divine Service, 9:30 am
No New Year's (Eve or Day) services
Epiphany Day (January 6) Divine Service, 7:00 pm
Ash Wednesday Divine Service, 7:00 pm
Midweek (Wednesday) Lenten Services, 7:00 pm
Maundy Thursday Divine Service, 7:00 pm
Good Friday Tenebrae, 7:00 pm
Easter Sunrise Matins, 7:00 am [breakfast following]
Ascension Day Divine Service (40 days after Easter), 7:00 pm
Recorded sermons can be heard here.
UPDATE: The Voters Assembly, at its budget meeting of January 20, 2019, adopted its 2019 budget, and voted to continue as a member of the Issues, Etc. 300, for the 9th year.
The Voters Assembly at its regular meeting of January 9, 2011, adopted its 2011 budget. As part of its Missions budget is a line item for Issues, Etc. (via Lutheran Public Radio) and has become a member of the Issues, Etc. 300.